Naturally Kela, Birdie from Curvie Birdie, Kia, owner of K. Logan Hair and Tia from If I Were a Brit Girl.
If you have been reading my blog for a while (or a few months), you know Atlanta doesn't run short events. There are like five a day! It's good to get out and mingle with like-minded individuals, especially when you spend most of your time at home negotiating with a 3 year old.
Majority of the opportunities that have come my way are because relationships I made networking. Networking doesn't mean being pushy or aggressive. I'm neither of those. I'm a people person, so I enjoy talking to strangers. I wanted to share some of my networking tips for you to take for a spin the next time you are at an event.
- Make it a goal to meet at least two new people. Don't just hang on to the folks you already know. Introduce yourself to someone new. You can kick it off by saying, cute shoes, hair, etc.
- Don't be too pushy. If someone is giving you the "stank" face, just say hi and keep it moving.
- Don't be a people hog. That is the worst! If others are waiting to speak with someone, like a keynote speaker or celeb, don't tell them your life story. Introduce yourself, get your picture and move to the left.
- Keep it professional at events. This mama likes to have a drink or two while I'm out. But getting drunk at an event is a no-no! I know y'all watch Blood Sweat and Heels...
- Make sure you follow up. If you have a great conversation with someone, make sure you contact them as soon as possible. At the minimum, send them a tweet to get the relationship going.
- Once you make a connection, don't be all "Gimme Gimme Gimme!" A relationship should go both ways. Bring something to the table as well. Even something as simple as sharing someones post or event.
That's basically how I roll. How do you network? Please share your tips in the comments.