March 8, 2012

I'm Giving Up Shopping

For myself until Easter!  April 8th!  I guess this is like a late Lent .  I woke up this morning thinking that I have too much stuff and I keep buying more.  These blogs don't help either! I want everything! 



I got up at 6 am and went into my closet... filled to capacity.  I have been picking up stuff here and there for the last month for spring.  Guess what!  I found at least 12 dresses that I recently purchased with tags on them!  TWELVE!  That is Bananas!  Let's not get on the other dresses that I purchased and actually wore once!  Now to the shoes... I have 7 pair of new shoes in the last 2 months!  SEVEN!  Two of them I picked up yesterday... a Wednesday!  Some people don't even have 7 pair total!

I have to do better.  Can I be helped?  Is it too late!  I have to do this.  I am gonna need all your support through this. 

Here is my plan:
  • I can only buy things for Peyton that she needs! (Let's excuse that fact that I just purchased her a few things from Gilt)
  • Clean my closet from top to bottom
  • Shop in my own closet
  • Donate and/or sell what I don't want or can't fit or haven't worn in a year
  • Recreate looks from magazines
  • Wear all the clothes with tags immediately
  • Right now this plan does not include makeup and beauty products : )
I will keep you guys updated on my rehabilitation process.  I plan to post before and after pictures of my closet and purging.  If you have any tips please share. Thanks to my twitter peeps for your support this morning!

18 comments:

  1. My issue is that I have so much that I NEVER have anything to wear... I'm with ya! Good Luck!!! (P.S. There are some good tips in the March issue of O mag)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! My daughter gave up shopping for herself for lent and she can't wait until April! Looking forward to closet pics, my closet needs help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to do that several times in my past. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you can do it! you have a plan so, that's the first step! :-)

    ~Nic

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's going to be hard but you can do it. I have been doing it for the past couple of years because I feel the same way. Way too much stuff that I hardly put into rotation! I have totally limited myself but every now and then when I want something bad enough, I'll get it. However, I do a closet sweep a few times a year and get rid of stuff I no longer wear or want, clothes and shoes!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shopping in our own closet is a great idea and re-creating styles can definitely work. You'll be great once you give a few items away and clean the closet out completely. I'm a supporter! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, first off....I read the title of this post and thought YEAH RIIIIIGHT!!!! lol. But, if you wanna donate....send some things my way! I'd accept with open arms. This momma needs some serious fashion help. My girl is goooood! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Luck Trina!

    7eventh Letter
    http://www.whatsmoreimportantthanfashion.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah right! I don't belieive it!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am in the same boat! I am not buying anything that is not necessary.

    www.cancerinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel you! Today I actually had shopping withdrawals. WHO HAS SHOPPING WITHDRAWALS??!! This is crazy! I applaud you and I think I might have to follow your footsteps.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah! Glad you got on board so it's extra motivation for me! I am doing a 30 for 30 challenge (I think)! Find 30 pieces from current closet and mix it up to wear the next 30 days. I have so many new things from last year and year before but point is that I love to shop! It's my thing! It's been hard these past 2 weeks but I'm surviving! Good luck to you because we are shopping twins!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had read about a woman that didn't shop for a year. Not sure that I would make that kind of decision, but I found this website if you are interested..http://angelabarton.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Proud of you! I think you can do it, just think if you took all of the money that you would've likely spent and saved it, that always helps to get a visual of how much money we spend on things we don't need when people actually need things and can't afford them.

    You got this. I'll come help you with the closet purge, and stuff some bags to go home with!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice blog! :D you should check out me and my sisters fashion blog :D Follow for a follow ? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  16. hey girl i read ur blog from africa and if you want to clean up ur closet send it to me we don't have that stuff here!!!!! and my carity association will be glad too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. if you want to clean up ur closet send it to central africa girl we need it here like hell, and the carity associative i run will be glad to!!!! let me know!!! your blog is just awesome and that daughter of yours sweet

    ReplyDelete

Newer Older