November 6, 2013

DIY Boyfriend (Distressed) Jeans for Kids

I shared with you guys on Monday how difficult it was to find reasonably priced boyfriend jeans for little girls.  I decided to take matters into my own hands and make my own.  

To make boyfriend or distressed jeans you will need the following:
* Pair of boys skinny or straight leg 100% cotton jeans.
* Cardboard 
* Straight edge blade or box cutter
* Scissors
* Washing machine
1.  Find some little boy jeans in skinny or straight leg fit.  I actually went to the thrift store hoping I could find some to experiment on but there weren't any in Peyton's size.  I picked these skinny boy jeans from Old Navy.
2.  After googling on how to make boyfriend jeans, one site suggested to folding the legs in half to find out where the knee holes should go.  I clearly didn't pay attention.  I should have folded the pants all the way to the waist or actually put them on Peyton to mark the knee area.
3.  I used cardboard from a box and cut it small enough to go inside the jeans so I wouldn't go through to the back of the jeans when cutting.  Make sure you put the cardboard inside the legs otherwise you will have holes on the back of the knees.
4.  Take your blade or box cutter and cut horizontal slits in the knee area.  The longer the slits, the bigger the hole will be.  If you don't want any skin to be exposed, I suggest keeping the slits close together.  After you are done with the knees, move around and make slits on the coin pocket, zipper cover, and back pockets for more distressed look.  You can also get a sand block and rub over the jeans to give them a more worn-out look.  I didn't have one so I kept it moving.

5.  Cut the bottom of the jeans if you want more of a cropped look.  Make sure to measure on your child before cutting.  I used scissors to cut a few inches off.
7. Wash the jeans with detergent in warm or cold water and put them in the dryer until they are completely dry.  Pictured are Peyton's jeans after one wash.  Feel free to wash and dry the jeans twice (especially if you thrifted the jeans).  
I think Peyton's boyfriend jeans came out fabulous (besides the knee area).  I will add a hole or two to the knees on the next round.  What do you think?  Will you try this on your kids or your jeans?

9 comments:

  1. I don't think I would do this, not because it doesn't look awesome but I don't have the patience. I shared your post with my friend because I absolutely love the way your daughter looks in this picture and I want my niece to have a similar outfit but I would probably just buy it from the second hand store (we have a really great one here is Charlotte).

    But then again, I just scrolled up and looking at your pictures maybe I could do it. Hhhmmm...now you've got me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute!!! There are a ton of DIY projects I have yet to complete but I would love to give this a go w/ one or both of my girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl, who knew you were crafty/handy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, cant wait to try this for my little one.

    http://kahyzen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look awesome, too adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She rocked it! Loved this share!!

    ReplyDelete

Newer Older